TREATMENT OF BURN INJURIES
Burns are not simple injuries to treat, and they come with the risk of serious, life-threatening complications, including infection, failure of skin grafts, breakdown of tissues, and chronic pain. The immediate goals in treating burn patients are to prevent shock and prevent infection, to prevent additional injury to damaged tissues, and to heal the wound as quickly as possible. Burns frequently require a series of costly and painful surgeries over a period of years to reduce contractures, improve the victim’s appearance, and limit loss of function. Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and psychological therapy are often required to help rehabilitate burn patients.
The typical cost for treat minimally aggressive treatment of moderate burns runs in excess of $200,000. Severe burns without complications cost, on the average more than $1.5 million. Costs for treating severe burns with complications can exceed $10 million.
BURN INJURY STATISTICS
- On the average, 3,400 people die from burn-related injuries annually. Three-quarter of these deaths are because of infection
- Residential fires account for 2,550 of the fatalities, followed by approximately 300 from vehicle crash fires, 400 from contact with electricity, hot objects, or scalding liquids, and 150 from flame burns or smoke inhalation in non-residential fires
- Approximately 450,000 burn injuries occur every year; 40,000 people receive hospital treatment for severe or catastrophic burn injuries annually; 30,000 of these are treated at hospital burn centers
CAUSES OF BURN INJURIES
Burn injuries are usually preventable and are a consequence of some individual or company’s negligence. These are some of the causes of burns that are often the result of negligence:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Tanker explosions
- Boiler explosions
- Electrical fires
- Forest fires and wildfires
- Defective products
- Chemical burns
- Structural fires
- Hotel, restaurant, or nightclub fires
- Locked or obstructed fire exits
- Exposure to scalding water and steam
- Aviation accidents
DAMAGES THAT CAN BE RECOVERED FROM BURNS
If you or a member of your family living the the Central Coast of California has suffered a serious burn injury caused by someone else’s negligence or by a defective product, having a highly experienced personal injury attorney can make a huge difference in your ability to obtain the treatment you need to move on with your life. You are entitled to make a claim for compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include, among others:
- Expenses for medical treatment, surgeries, medication
- Cost of therapy and rehabilitation
- Loss of earnings and future earning capability
- Out-of-pocket expenses for transportation, child care, and other costs of traveling for medical treatment
- Medical or assistive devices or prostheses
Non-economic damages that you may be able to recover include:
- Physical suffering and pain
- Disability and loss of function
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of ability to participate in marital relations
RETAIN THE BEST LAWYER AVAILABLE FOR YOUR BURN INJURY CASE
Because of the high cost of treatment and the severity of quality-of- life damages, insurance companies will often use their extensive financial resources and sophisticated legal teams to fight paying catastrophic burn claims. To level the playing field, you will need to have the best attorney you can find to prepare your case and battle the insurance company on your behalf. In Central California, you’ll find the experience and expertise that will give you the best chance at an adequate recovery by retaining attorney Jude Basile in San Luis Obispo. As a personal injury lawyer since 1985, Jude has the experience, legal knowledge, and deep commitment to justice that is required when fighting the insurance company for your right to a recovery.
The Basile Law Firm accepts burn injury cases caused by negligence, product defect, or deliberate wrongdoing on a contingency retainer, doing all the work to prepare a thoroughly documented and persuasive case–your case. You pay nothing until the resolution of your case, and in the very unlikely case you don’t receive a compensation award, you will owe nothing.
Time is of the essence in filing your claim; waiting too long could cause you to lose your right to a recovery, so call the office of Jude Basile today to discover how we can help you win the compensation that will assist you in getting the treatment you need to move forward with your life after a serious burn injury. Whether you are in Monterey, Santa Barbara or anywhere in the Central Coast, Jude is committed to helping you.